Spicy Salsa Chicken
My new and improved Salsa Chicken recipe can be found below:
Salsa Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Minutes (Salsa) / 5 minutes (Chicken) | Cook Time: 35 Minutes (Chicken) | Total Time: 50 minutes
For the Salsa
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 3 Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Small White Onion
- 1/2 Cup White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- Chili Powder, Cumin and Salt (to taste)
For the Chicken
- 4 Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 2 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Instructions for Salsa
1. Dice peppers, tomatoes, garlic and white onion and combine in a large bowl.
2. Add white vinegar and lime juice. Mix well with chopped vegetables.
3. Sprinkle chili powder, cumin and salt until you reach your desired flavor.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and set to the side while you prepare the chicken breast.
Instructions for Chicken
1. Preheat Oven to 450 Degrees.
2. Place chicken thighs into a 1 gallon plastic bag, and add all seasonings. Secure the bag and shake well to ensure all pieces are evenly coated.
3. Heat olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over high heat until hot.
4. Place seasoned chicken into skillet skin side down and cook for two minutes before reducing to medium-high heat. Continue cooking for another 10 – 12 minutes (rearranging chicken occasionally to distribute heat) until the skin is golden brown.
5. Transfer chicken to oven (still in cast-iron skillet) and cook for another five minutes.
6. After five minutes, flip the chicken over and cook for another 10 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
7. Once done remove chicken from the oven and let cool for five minutes.
8. While the chicken cools, top chicken with a generous helping of fresh salsa.
This dish is great when paired with yellow rice or sautéed spinach! Happy eating!