This recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs is easy, delicious, and can be prepared in under 15 minutes! Made with ground chicken breast, panko breadcrumbs, garlic, and onions these chicken meatballs are juicy, flavorful, and perfect as an appetizer or main dish.
Why this Chicken Meatball Recipe works in the Air Fryer
Ground chicken isn’t an ingredient I usually cook with, but during a recent trip to the grocery store, I picked some up because I was in the mood for something different. At first, I thought about making chicken burgers, but sadly, I forgot the buns. So, I rummaged through my kitchen cabinet and had a lightbulb moment – I could make chicken meatballs instead! And because I wanted them done quickly, I made a game-time decision to throw them in the air fryer. Let me tell you something – I am now a diehard fan of air fryer chicken meatballs.
These air fryer chicken meatballs are perfectly crispy on the outside but still maintain a juicy center that’s bursting with flavor. The best part? They are ready in 15 minutes from start to finish. Just serve them with some rice or pasta and a tasty sauce, and you’ll have a satisfying and mouthwatering meal in no time.
If you’re looking for other great chicken recipes, you’ll love these:
- Shrimp, Chicken, and Sausage Jambalaya
- Brown Stew Pineapple Chicken
- One-Pot Chicken Thighs with Blackeye Peas
- Dry Rub Chicken Pasta
Key Ingredients for Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs
- Ground Chicken: I prefer to use fresh ground chicken breast for this recipe. It is a leaner meat, and because this dish is being prepared in the air fryer, you will still get a juicy end result.
- Panko: Panko breadcrumbs make for lighter and more tender meatballs versus traditional breadcrumbs.
- Onions: Onions have a high water content, thata also helps to retain the moisture in the meatballs.
- Eggs: Eggs serve as a binder for the ground chicken and other ingredients, which helps the meatballs to be formed.
- All-Purpose Seasoning: My favorite all-purpose seasoning is Bragg’s Organic 24 Herbs and Spices Seasoning Blend. Although it is salt-free it renders incredibly flavorful meat and is a staple in my kitchen.
How to make Chicken Meatballs in the Air Fryer
- Make the chicken meatballs mixture. Combine the ground chicken, panko breadcrumbs, onions, garlic, eggs, salt, all-purpose seasoning, and hot sauce in a large bowl and mix well. Mix well using a large spoon until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Form the chicken meatballs. Using your hands (with kitchen gloves) or a spoon, take about 2 tablespoons of the ground chicken mixture and shape it into a meatball that is approximately two inches in diameter. Repeat this process until you have used all of the mixture.
- Cook in the air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and spray the basket of the air fryer with non-stick cooking spray, before placing the meatballs in the basket in a single layer. Cook the meatballs for about 8-10 minutes, or until they start to brown on the outside and reach an internal 165 degrees Fahrenheit, as recommended for chicken.
Storing Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs
To store chicken meatballs allow them to cool to room temperature, then place them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or you can freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen chicken meatballs in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. To reheat chicken meatballs, preheat the air fryer to 350°F. Place the meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until they are heated through and reach an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
Yes! Ground chicken in this recipe could be substituted for ground turkey, ground beef, or ground pork. It is important to note that the change in the base meat will alter the flavor of the dish.
Air fryer chicken meatballs can be served as a standalone appetizer or used in various dishes. They go well with dipping sauces like marinara, BBQ sauce, mustard or an aoili. You can also serve them with pasta, rice, or in a sandwich.
Generally, cooking in the air fryer is considered healthier to traditional frying or baking methods because it requires less oil. However, the overall healthiness of chicken meatballs depends on the ingredients and cooking methods used.
Will you help add value to Geo's Table? If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment.
- 1 Pound Ground Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/3 Cup, Finely Diced Onion
- 2 Whole Green Onions, Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Large Eggs, Beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Sauce
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, panko breadcrumbs, onions, garlic, eggs, salt, all-purpose seasoning, and hot sauce. Mix well. Using your hands or a spoon, shape the mixture into meatballs, approximately 2 inches in diameter. Repeat until the chicken mixture is gone.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C) and lightly spray the basket with non-stick cooking spray. Place the meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they don't touch each other.
- Cook the meatballs in the air fryer for 8-10 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Remove the meatballs from the air fryer and transfer them to a plate or platter.
- Garnish with green onions (optional) and serve as an appetizer or main course pairing well with rice, grains, or pasta with sauce.
- Raw ground chicken can hold a lot of moisture. You can use a paper towel to remove excess moisture before making the meatball mixture
- Bragg's Organic Sprinkle 24 Herbs and Spices as the all-purpose seasoning, but any salt-free all-purpose seasoning will work.
- .You may need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 128Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 670mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 13g