This irresistible Brown Sugar Banana Brownies recipe is easy to make and unbelievably delicious. It features a delightful blend of mashed bananas folded into a luscious brownie batter and topped with a tempting brown sugar cream cheese swirl.
This Brown Sugar Banana Brownie recipe was inspired by and developed for #Bake4BetheMatch, a virtual baking collaboration to support Elise Smith of WinniE’s Bakery in her continued search for a bone marrow transplant match. Despite her 4-year search without success, Elise remains resilient, baking, and living as a fierce woman, even starring in episodes of Baked from Scratch on Magnolia network.
Learn more about Be the Match, an organization striving to build a diverse registry of bone marrow donors, especially to support Black patients who face significant disparities in finding matches (only 29% success rate). Join the cause and find more information at BetheMatch.org. And don’t forget to follow the hashtag #Bake4BetheMatch2023 on Instagram.
Key Ingredients for Brown Sugar Banana Brownies
- Brownie Mix: I’m obsessed with Ghirardelli Brownie Mixes, but any brownie mix will do for this recipe.
- Dark Brown Sugar: Dark brown sugar is the star of this dish. It is responsible for the deep molasses flavor and also pairs very well with the chocolate and banana flavors.
- Bananas: Ripe bananas are a requirement for this recipe. They are easier to mash and have the sweetest flavor.
- Cream Cheese: Essential for the cream cheese swirl. The cream cheese should be brought to room temperature before mixing with other ingredients.
How to make Banana Brownies with Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8×8 nonstick baking pan with cooking spray or butter.
- Make the brownie batter. In a bowl combine 1 egg, water, oil, and mashed banana and whisk until well combined. Add brownie mix to the bowl and stir with a large spoon until all dry ingredients are incorporated and the batter is thickened.
- Make the brown sugar cheesecake topping. Using a hand mixer or standing mixer with paddle attachment, mix together cream cheese, 1 egg, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until smooth. There should be no lumps. Drop dollops of the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter in an even 3×3 pattern. Use a butter knife
- Create the brown sugar cheesecake swirl. Gently run a butter knife or skewer down the center of the dollops, both vertically and horizontally.
- Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes. You will know it’s done when the brownies are firm and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes in the pan before slicing and serving.
Tips for serving and storing Brown Sugar Banana Cheesecake Brownies
To store these brown sugar banana brownies allow them to cool completely, before cutting them into individual slices. Place them in an airtight container or wrap each slice with plastic wrap. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to a month. To serve, thaw frozen brownies in the refrigerator or bring to room temperature when ready to enjoy.
Yes, you can make cheesecake brownies in advance. Once they cool down, store them following the proper storage guidelines in an airtight container in the refrigerator or the freezer if you plan to keep them for an extended period.
While cream cheese is the most commonly used cheese for the swirl, you can experiment with other soft cheeses like mascarpone or ricotta. However, be aware that this will change the flavor and texture..
A ripe banana will have a yellow peel with some brown spots. It will also have a sweet flavor.
Will you help add value to Geo's Table? If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment.
For the Brownies
- 1 20 ounce Box Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 1 Large Egg (Room temperature)
- 1 Cup Mashed Bananas (Approximately 2 Ripe Bananas)
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup Water
For the Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Swirl
- 1 8 ounce block of Cream Cheese (Softened)
- 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg (Room temperature)
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and position the oven rack in the middle. Coat an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, vegetable oil, water, and mashed bananas until well combined. Stir in the brownie mix until fully incorporated. Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking dish.
- For the cream cheese swirl, use a hand mixer to blend cream cheese, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth and lump-free. Drop dollops of the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter in an even 3x3 pattern using a large spoon or ice cream scoop.
- Create a swirl pattern by gently running a butter knife or skewer down the center of the dollops, both vertically and horizontally.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- For the best results, make sure eggs are at room temperature, and the cream cheese is softened.
- Ghirardelli Brownie Mix is my personal favorite, but any 20-ounce box of brownie mix will work.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 5g