Episode 7: Stay Home and Stay Healthy with Marsha Hoffmann of SalutNutrition
Subscribe: Anchor | Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify
In the wake of the stay-at-home orders, we are finding ourselves in unprecedented times. I, for one, have experienced heightened anxiety, and have fallen into some not so healthy routines. The hardest part is finding a way to cycle out of those behaviors. This episode is a part of that self-discovery.
In this special episode of Table 86, I welcome my friend, fellow blogger and registered dietitian Marsha (aka Summer) Hoffmann to share some insight on how we can be more mindful and create healthier habits during these uncertain times.
Based in New York City, Marsha has worked as a registered dietitian for the past five years. Through her online platforms Salut Nutrition and Do You Salut, she covers a wide range of topics from healthy living and mindfulness to some epic guides to ignite your world travels. Listen in as we discuss ways to channel your anxious energy and take a deep dive into what it means to be kind to yourself during this time. Marsha also shares some fun, tasty, and HEALTHY alternatives to a list of my favorite quarantine food and snacks. You can listen to the episode and check out our list of snacks below!
Learn more about Marsha her consultative work, travels, and recipes by following her on Instagram at @doyousalut or on her websites doyousalut.com and salutnutrition.com .
The Best #StayHome Snack Alternatives
- Flaming Hot Cheetos or Spicy Cheese Puffs
- Mangos coated in Sriracha
- Kale Chips with Jalapeño Peppers or Crushed Red Pepper
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Greek Yogurt Popsicles
- Frozen Kefir
- Smoothie with Almond Milk
- Chia Pudding
- Season wisely. While popcorn is not necessarily a snack, many popular brands sway this comfort food into that category but include lots of butter or salts. Marsha suggests using fresh herbs and spices such as cinnamon or garlic to give this healthy snack a more dynamic flavor profile.
- Healthy Brands such as SkinnyPop or Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP
- Red Wine
- Moderation, moderation, moderation. One glass of red wine a day may be worth enjoying, but be wary of binge drinking or participating in the recent “alcohol focused” challenges circulating on social media. Now, more than ever, it’s important to protect your immune system, and overindulgence in alcoholic beverages can have consequences as it relates to your health.
- Recipe Alterations. Because cornbread is often made from scratch it’s important to think about the ingredients that bring it to life. Marsha suggests substituting items like whole milk and sugar with healthier alternatives such as unsweetened almond milk or apple sauce.
- Portion Control. At the end of the day, enjoy Marsha says enjoy your cornbread. Instead of opting for the large slice which many of us are familiar with, she suggests a smaller portion size that satisfies the craving.
- Coffee with Cream and Sugar
- Try a different sweetener such as Cinnamon or a Sugar Substitute
- Corsica Flower Tea also known as Coffee Flower Tea